Attorney Basil A. Baker
Basil A. Baker was born in Washington, D.C., and moved to Flint, Michigan, where he graduated from Flint Central High School.
He attended Denison University, graduating with Honors in 1965. After graduating from the University of Michigan Law School in 1969, he served in the U.S. Army in Vietnam, receiving numerous decorations, including the Bronze Star Medal.
- Bachelor of Arts in History, with Honors, Denison University, 1965
- Juris Doctorate, University of Michigan, 1969
- Admitted to the bar, State of Michigan, 1970
Prosecutorial Experience in Michigan
In 1971, Mr. Baker joined the Washtenaw County Prosecutors office and later became a First Assistant Prosecutor.
His responsibilities were divided between corporate duties (contracts, civil matters, labor negotiations, and research) and criminal matters (prosecution of felonies and misdemeanors, preparation and oral argument before the Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court, and supervision of attorneys and staff assigned to the 15th District Court).
Known for Professionalism and Civility
After leaving the prosecutor’s office, Mr. Baker worked as an associate or partner for Ann Arbor law firms, and in 2008, he became managing partner of the firm now known as Baker, Stringer and Meisel, LLP.
The firm is engaged in the general practice of law, with an emphasis on matters pertaining to domestic relations, criminal defense, civil litigation, real estate, probate, and business organization. Mr. Baker has served as a domestic relations mediator and civil arbitrator for contract matters.
Basil Baker was awarded the “Professionalism and Civility in the Practice of Law” award by his peers in the Washtenaw County Bar Association in 2007.
Past and Present Professional Affiliations
- Former Member of Board of Directors Ann Arbor YMCA
- Former Chairman of Washtenaw County Bar Division-United Way Campaign
- Former Counsel for Village of Dexter
- Former Instructor of Criminal Law, State of Michigan Regional Law Enforcement Institute (1972-1976)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Family Law Section Member
- Real Estate Section Member
- Probate Section Member
- Washtenaw County Bar Association